Wednesday, June 10, 2009

BONI (T-2)

Boni is the first sale of the day! Boni could be the first experience. Boni has a zing to it. The word has both the show and business of show-business. Okay, am reading too much into it : ) Please allow me to feel like a kid in a candy store for the next few days.

As I watched the last trailer of Boni, so many threads of thoughts unraveled. And this blog is about those random thoughts:

- I can clearly recollect the buffet lunch at a Chinese joint where they served cocktail shrimp and excellent egg rolls. I would sit there with my friend Kedar Patankar and we would brainstorm about films. We would think of stories, strategies as to how to get them on the screen. At that time both of us were employees of LSI logic in the Normandale Area of Minneapolis.

- Another thought takes me to my friend Mirza (Ahmed) Nizamuddin. I would sit in his basement and just think of some story to shoot. I remember he had a company called computer press and am sure I wrecked his copier in trying to get my short film made. Sorry mirza!

- On one icy day. I convinced Karthik, my friend to do a stunt for me. We went in his car and shot his car going out of control in the New Brighton suburb of Minneapolis. It was a dummy ad for pepsi. I remember shooting it from outside and then his POV and was amazed that Karthik did the stunt over and over and we did not run into any other cars. I would love to dig that up!

- I remember quitting my job at LSI to pursue films full time. After that, I felt like I made the biggest mistake ever. I told myself, what the hell did you do? Do you realize there will be no paycheck after this? What about my perks, my lifestyle? OH MY GOD! I quit my job! I was depressed for a month!

- When I was moving to LA, I vividly remember Jasti, Rhonda, Mike Lynn helping me pack my stuff in Minneapolis. I miss them a lot!

- Initially in LA, I would sit by the Starbucks right in front of Sony Studios in Culver city, thinking what do I need to write to get in there! I would force Sunny and Nupur to take a walk with me only to dive into the neighborhood Crepe shop in Santa Monica.

- First day shooting for Boni, was a stunt scene in the peak summer in Hyderabad. Was exhausting, mentally and physically. It was definitely ambitious at an idea level!

- driving my friend Sunitha Tati crazy in trying to make scenes better.

- first day shooting with an veteran actor like Tankella Bharani garu. I was scared. But, seconds into the shot, both of us were having a blast.

- 110 prints are heading out to be viewed by lakhs of people. It is an awe-inspiring
thought. I am grateful to the divine force and the numerous people who helped me in the process.

I have decided that for the next few days I will try to be regular in updating you my thoughts, feelings, ramblings. Please allow me to be in a WOW mode. I really am. It is exhilarating to see a story conjured in your head, projected on a widescreen.

Ciao: Raj

3 comments:

  1. Congrats and all the best...I am going in for the movie this Thursday....I stay in NJ...hope you make an impact....thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Raj
    Have just see the trailer of BONI and was googling your name.. landed up here.. :)I can imagine what must be going thru your mind! I am sure this is one of the most amazing moments of your life!
    Infact I am now in a similar situation as you, when you were in LSI Logic! I am a finance guy with a good company- "Ernst & Young",Wanna quit here and start a business of my own in Andhra:)Not sure if can really do it:)

    Any way to cut the crap.. the trailer is totally awesome.. I dont bet on sumanth though. Have watched a couple of songs on TV9, very impressive. I stay in gurgaon so cant really watch on day1 to give you a feedback.. but yeah.. I will write to you when I get to see the film.. will get to watch it when i come to Hyd or when it is downloadable!
    ALL the very best raj,, just cherish these moments.. I am sure you will be successful..

    Cheers,
    Naveen Sadhu - your to be fan:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you and so honored to have a significant place as a part of your journey :) You have come so far and have many more steps toward an even brighter future. Miss you and love you lots - come to LA soon and let me throw that party we have been planning since November !!!

    ReplyDelete