Thursday, June 18, 2009

Steven, George, Lawrence & Raiders of the Lost Ark

I have been working on a script for the past few weeks. I am trying to make it a point to write regularly. It is huge battle but my thoughts are that even if you write one shitty page a day, you are closer to a screenplay than no page. I also belive that writing is re-writing.

My current script stands at 123 pages. This story has 2 versions already written. Each version gave the clarity on the characters, dialogues, locations, plot etc. I know that even now, it needs another 3 rewrites to get it to the final form.

I think writing is such a fascinating process. It is also gut-wrenching. You have to start from a blank page. The balance between structure and chaos is divine. You put too much structure and you lose the magic and if chaos takes over, then you will be staring at the abyss!

My friend Jay MacBride forwarded an excellent link to me. It is a transcript of the story discussion between Steven Spielberg, George Lucas & Lawrence Kasdan for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Very inspiring!

http://mysterymanonfilm.blogspot.com/2009/03/raiders-story-conference.html

Have fun creating!
Raj

2 comments:

  1. Hi Raj,
    Thanks for the link. When I talk to screenwriters I have a feeling that these people have a certain superman gene in them.

    I'm YET to finish one for over a year now and these people seem to shell one after the other within months! Oh my god! And here you are talking of 3 more re-writers... You've got 3 Super Man Genes Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Raj,
    When you say that the story has 2 different versions, what percent of the story do you actually rewrite?! Thanks for the link!...:)

    -Hemanth

    ReplyDelete