Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

The movie is released. Good, bad or ugly it is out there in the theaters with people watching it. I watched the movie two times on day one, in two very different theaters with two very different sets of people.

Do I think it is good? I will answer that question later. At this point the question is: How to sell the product and make profit for the investors? That is the prime question right now. For me at this point, once the product is done, it is about business. How and who are seeing the film? What is working within the film? What attributes can be pushed and sold? There are people who are having a good time in the theater. How do we capitalize on it? I want to make sure that we capitalize on the right target audience who will enjoy this kind of a film. How do we make profits for the investors? This is when the filmmaking cycle gets completed.

From a directing POV: I need to learn what worked and what did not in the various stages of the project. It is interesting to reflect on the original script. Why did that change? What changes happened along the way? I need to realize who to listen , what to listen, and what to fight for and what to give in. As I mentioned before directing the pandora’s box is the key. But, all said and done, I own the film as is. I am responsible for it. If I have my name up there then I own the decisions. It is painful, brutal to hear people tear you apart. Then wonderful to hear people who had a blast. But the key thing is I need to have to measure it according to 1) my scale of merit, 2) a target audience’s scale of merit = box-office numbers.

This is a good opportunity to write about getting yourself out there. I want to encourage everyone of you. Take the first steps towards your dream. It does not have to be the perfect or a great step. Do not worry what people will say or how it will be received. But one thing you have to do is be honest in your journey. You will fall, and then you get up. Learn from it, it is an opportunity. One of the songs in the film “arrere chey jarinnda” is about that. Do it with all your sincerity and hardwork. The result is not in your hands. And If I may go to the extent of saying, celebrate failure. Success is jumping from failure to failure till you succeed. The key is you give it all you got in terms of hard work and right work and be accountable for your actions! Start a body of work today : )

I will soon share the local talk, responses from various range of people, and more on this film.

I appreciate all your comments and support,

Raj

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck!..:)
    -Hemanth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Raj, I've seen the movie and I must say that the direction was awesome... I visited the sets several times (I'm a friend of Trinetrudu's). I especially liked the scene where the camera is placed on top of the Maruti Van as it drives past the police officers (reminded me of the tricycle scene in The Shining).

    Congratulations and hoping for some more interesting films in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi raj, i saw boni, your direction is very good, heard that you got another project, nyhw all the best for your next flick..

    ReplyDelete